This simple 3 Bean Vegetarian Chili recipe is the perfect recipe to prepare when you’re cooking for people who like a lot of flavor, but not so much spicy heat. Not everyone loves things hot and spicy, some are just the opposite. This is a recipe both can enjoy.
If you like things spicier, this is an easily adjusted recipe. What are your favorite spicy flavors? When making it spicier, add an entire smoked chipotle pepper chopped up and sauteed with the onions, peppers, and garlic. Alternatively you could increase the chili powder, or add some cayenne pepper.
Did you know spicy foods have capsaicin in them so it increases your metabolic rate! Yeah to spicy food!
This chili, however, is very tasty, but not particularly spicy. This one is for you mild lovers and those who love them!
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Calories: 257 (9% of calories from fat) ♥ Fat: 2.7 g ♥ WW: 5 pts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell peppers, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add sugar and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.