Moving into a dorm can be both an exciting and terrifying task. For most people, this is the first time they are going to be away from home and not under the care of their parents. The prospect of having to look after oneself and living with a roommate you know nothing about can be scary. But most people, when they’re done with college and leave dorm life behind, tend to agree that these were the best years of their life. All it takes is to be prepared and have an open mind, and you will thoroughly enjoy your time in a dorm.
And being prepared for dorm living is what we are going to be discussing. Here we’re going to talk about the essentials that you absolutely should have before moving into a dorm. So, if you’re ready to start dorm life, here are the only things you will need to live in a dorm.
A Table Lamp
For college students, and we’re assuming you are one, there are going to be a lot of late nights where you will be stuck getting work done. When you’re living with a roommate however, turning on the room’s light just so you can study at midnight is nothing short of being inconsiderately rude. A table lamp is great thing to have on your desk, and will make sure you can study while your roommate is asleep. Some table lamps even have small holders or compartments that can come in handy for keeping important things like pens nearby. If you’re looking for suggestions, here are some good table lamps you might want to buy one from.
- TW Lighting IVY LED Desk Lamp with USB Port 3-Way Touch Switch White
- LEPOWER Metal Desk Lamp Study Lamp with Flexible Goose Neck Sandy Black
- TaoTronics LED Desk Lamp Dimmable Office Lamp with USB Charging Port Touch Control White
- JOLY JOY Swing Arm Lamp LED Desk Lamp with Clamp Modern Architect Table Lamp Black
A Coffee Maker
Again, as a college student, you are going to have long nights. Not just that, a lot of your mornings will be spent rushing about trying to get dressed at top speed as you periodically glance at the clock. It will be times like these that you will be glad you have a coffee maker. A coffee maker in your room ensures quick and easy coffee for those mornings when breakfast is out of the question, or those nights when you need to keep yourself awake. A few coffee makers you might be interested in getting for yourself are listed below.
- BLACK+DECKER 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker Black
- Hamilton Beach Programmable Coffee Maker 12 Cups Black
- Hamilton Beach FlexBrew Coffee Maker Programmable Black
A Laundry Basket
With a roommate in the same room, you’re going to be short on space. When that happens, you need to keep everything neatly organized in a compact manner. As such, leaving your dirty clothes laying around until laundry day just will not do. A laundry basket is a cheap little addition to your room and will keep all your dirty laundry in one place out of the way and you will be confident you haven’t forgotten some clothes on laundry day. Some nice laundry baskets you can get for your dorm are listed below.
- Mesh Popup Laundry Hamper – Portable Collapsible for Storage Blue
- DOKEHOM 82L Large Laundry Basket Collapsible Fabric Laundry Hamper Black L
- Mind Reader HHAMP40-IVO Ivory 40 Liter Closed Basket
A fridge in your dorm can be a life changer. You can store any food you want any time you want and not worry about it being spoiled the next time you need it. You won’t be at the mercy of takeout only, and you can eat at odd hours of the night during long study sessions without having to leave your room. We listed some good compact fridges below.
- Gourmia GMF600 Thermoelectric Mini Fridge Cooler and Warmer – Compact & Portable – Black
- Igloo RCA IGLOO Mini Refrigerator Orange
- Tavata 3.2 Cu Compact Refrigerator Double Door Mini Fridge Green
In a similar vein to the fridge, a microwave is also an important thing to have with you in a dorm. After all, you can’t eat anything you stored in the fridge if you can’t heat it can you. A microwave is pretty compact in of itself, and will be one of the most useful things to have in your dorm. Some good microwaves you might like are listed below.
- Kenmore Elite Small 70712 Countertop Microwave White
- Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven with Sound On/Off ECO Mode and LED Lighting Stainless Steel
- Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN686S Stainless Steel Countertop/Built-In with Inverter Technology 1200W
Some people prefer to shower with slippers on, whereas others do not. But when you’re in a dorm and sharing a bathroom with other people, it is perhaps the smarter choice to use shower slippers. Cheap and an almost unnoticeable addition to your room, shower slippers will at least provide you some peace of mind when showering. There are all kinds of pairs out there, though we listed some below to help you out.
- adidas Men’s Adilette Shower Slides
- Shower Shoez Women’s Non-Slip Pool Dorm Water Sandals Flip Flops
- Shower Shoez Men’s Non-Slip Shower Gym Pool Dorm Water Sandals Flip Flops
A Power Strip
A small room shared with a roommate won’t have many outlets available for use most of the time. This is where a power strip will come in real handy. You and your roommate can both use the power strip and ensure that all your electronics are always able to be plugged in. If your power strip has a surge protector built in that’s just an added bonus. We found and listed some good quality power strips below in case you’re looking for recommendations.
- Power Strip Bototek Surge Protector with 10 AC Outlets and 4 USB Charging Ports – Black
A fan can also be a lifesaver in your dorm, especially if your dorm does not provide air conditioning. A good fan will keep the air circulating in the room and not let it get too humid. Even if your dorm does provide air conditioning, a fan at a light speed will make the room really pleasant and simulate natural breezes. Some fans you might want to buy one from are listed below.
- Lasko FBA 2521 Oscillating Stand Fan Black
- Lasko 3300 20″ Wind Machine Fan
- Vornado 630 Mid-Size Whole Room Air Circulator Fan
Though dorms do provide beds, they might skimp out on pillows. If you’re the type of person that absolutely needs pillows to fall asleep, your first night in your dorm might be horrible if you don’t bring pillows along with you. Luckily, pillows are yet another quite cheap item that you can buy, and we have listed some below for your browsing pleasure.
- Digital Decor Set of Two 100% Cotton Pillows
- BioPEDIC 4-Pack Bed Pillows White
- Beckham Hotel Collection Gel Pillow (2-Pack) Dust Mite Resistant & Hypoallergenic
And there you are, all ready to tackle dorm life head-on. When properly prepared and armed with all the essentials, you can bet that you’re looking at a few years of absolute fun. This list should just about cover all of the things you’ll need at the start while you slowly settle in and adopt this new lifestyle. Planning for the future already when you’ll have an apartment of your own? Here are the only things you need for simple apartment living. Already planning a day out with the new friends you will make? Here are our lists of the only things you’ll need for a memorable picnic and a day out on a boat.