This wonderful marshmallow frosting recipe. It may have originally come from a Fanny Farmers cookbook. This is always so delicious and can be easily adapted to many different flavors (see the variations at the bottom of the post).
Yield: sufficient to frost 1 2-layer cake (16 servings)
Calories: 75 (0% of calories from fat) ♥ Fat: 0 g ♥ Weight Watchers: 1 pts
- 2 egg whites (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup; or 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar if you prefer
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, cream of tartar or corn syrup, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler.
- With an electric mixer, beat on high speed 1 minute, then place over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. (If this happens, it could cause your frosting to become grainy) and beat on high speed 7 minutes.
- Remove the top of the double boiler from the heat; add vanilla. Then beat 2 minutes longer on high speed.
- Lemon: Substitute 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for the vanilla extract and add 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel during the last minute of beating.
- Fruits: Add crushed fruits to the frosting or substitute fruit flavorings for the vanilla extract.
- Rum: Substitute rum or sherry flavoring for the vanilla extract.
- Caramel: Substitute 1 cup white sugar for 1 cup brown sugar
- Mocha: Mix 2 teaspoons instant coffee in 1/3 cup HOT water till dissolved. Replace the 1/3 cup water in the original recipe with the coffee.