If your dog loves to stay outdoors, they need a way to stay contained and safe from dangers. A fenced yard or an electric fence could be a great option. But another way is to get them a dog kennel. Aside from being a portable enclosed area for your pet to play outside the house, a dog kennel is also a great place to train them. For dogs, a kennel can also become their cozy home. It is a personal space where they can feel relaxed and secured.
There are many different kinds of dog kennels you can find in the market today. That’s why it is sometimes challenging to find the best one for your dog. But no worries because we are here to help you. Read on for our guide on picking a kennel for your dog.
Important Features to Consider When Choosing a Dog Kennel
Dog kennels are best for those who plan on leaving their pet dogs unsupervised for a short while. For example, if your dog has a destructive behavior, you can place him in a dog kennel when you go to work each day. They can also be helpful when you go traveling with your pet.
When choosing a dog kennel, there are several features you need to consider for you to pick the best one. Here are some of those features:
- Material: Different materials of dog kennels will provide a wide array of durability and protection against rust. Some of the most common materials used in constructing dog kennels are stainless steel, galvanized steel, and other heavy-duty materials. Aside from those, dog kennels also have different materials on keeping dogs secure within it. This includes chain-link, metal, wire, and heavy-duty plastic. If your dog is an escape artist, you need to consider a dog kennel that is made of high-quality and heavy-duty materials.
- Size: Dog kennels also come in many different sizes. Choosing the size depends on the size of your dog, and as well as how many dogs will be using the kennel. Make sure that the dog kennel you’ll choose will give your pet enough space to move around and play. You also need to consider the items or accessories you will be placing in the kennel, like a bed and food and water bowl.
- Locking System: You also need to look at the locking system of the dog kennel you are buying, especially if your dog is an escape artist. Also, a lot of locking mechanisms can be easily outwitted by dogs. You can find dog kennels that have their own dog-proof doors. Others, on the other hand, require the use of padlocks.
- Flooring: Most dog kennels have open floorings. However, if your dog is a digger, it can easily escape the kennel by digging through the dirt floor. Therefore, you need to look for a dog kennel that has flooring or digging bars that sit on its edge.
- Number of Doors: It’s also important to consider how many doors the dog kennel you’re buying. See how large those doors are to safely let your pet in and out of the kennel.
- Covered Roof: There are small animal enclosure that come with covered tops of different materials. You can find some that have roofs like canvas, tarp, and weather-resistant fabric. There are also dog kennels that do not have roofs. If you intend to let your dog live in the dog kennel, make sure that you choose one that has a roof to keep your pet protected from the harmful UV rays of the sun, and as well as keep safe from rain and snow.
- Weather Resistant: If you are keeping the dog kennel outdoors for a longer period, make sure that you choose one that is sturdy and can stand up to different types of weather.
The Best Dog Kennels
After knowing the important things to consider when buying a dog kennel, we are also happy to provide you with the best dog kennels that we found online.
This is a heavy-duty welded steel kennel that is perfect for both residential and professional use. Its steel bars and wire mesh are welded before coating to prevent sharp edges that may harm your dog. Aside from that, it also offers greater rust and corrosion protection. This dog kennel also has an included waterproof cover that is heavy-duty, together with a steel roof frame that fits the outdoor cage perfectly. This will help protect your pet from the sun, rain, snow, and other debris outdoors.
This dog kennel is very easy to clean. It has 1.5-inch raised legs that make the enclosure easy to sweep or hose out to prevent the buildup of dirt and bacteria. You don’t have to worry about assembling this kennel because it has pre-assembled modular panels that connect quickly and easily by using hand tightening clamps. Meaning, there are no tools required. Its gate swings open freely for easy entry and exit. Its latch secures the gate firmly, and it can be locked using any basic padlock.
This gazebo dog kennel will give your pet the luxurious outdoor lifestyle it deserves. You can easily set up this kennel in just 10 minutes. You can also connect multiple kennels together with no additional parts of panels required, and this is great if you have lots of dogs at home.
This dog kennel comes in three sizes, which are small, medium, and large. The small one can fit dogs up to 50 pounds. The medium one can accommodate dogs that are up to 100 pounds. The large one is perfect for dogs that are up to 180 pounds. It features a weatherproof cover that will protect your pet from the elements. It also has an 11-gauge wire fence panels for more security. This gazebo dog kennel is also lightweight and easy to travel if you want to bring it on your trips.
If you are looking for a dog kennel that will give your pet lots of space to run and play, then this is a perfect choice for you. This kennel measures 10 x 10 x 6 feet, giving your dog 100 feet of fully-enclosed space where he can play and exercise. It has a chain-link construction with galvanized and rust-resistant steel.
This dog kennel features an easy do-it-yourself assembly, but it has a pre-assembled gate included. It has a quick-connect design for simple frame assembly. This is the perfect kennel for dogs who are active and playful.
If you are searching for the best all-in-one package, then this is excellent for you. It is a monster dog kennel that includes an area covered with canvas for your dog to get some shelter. Then, it has an extended area where your dog can run around and play.
This kennel also includes a swivel feeding bowl, allowing you to feed your pet without the need to go into the kennel. It also has a tile floor to prevent your pet from digging out. Aside from that, it also includes a septic system for easy waste disposal. This dog kennel might be expensive, but it has everything you need in a dog kennel. This is perfect for dog owners who leave their dogs for an extended period.
This dog kennel is made of a tough galvanized metal frame that ensures years of use with little to no necessary maintenance. It is also lightweight and easy to be moved. It features a large enclosed space, offering plenty of room for your dog to play and exercise. This kennel can also grow with your pet as multiple ones can be connected together without the need for additional parts.
This kennel also comes with a durable protective tarp to keep your dogs protected from the weather and outside elements. It has an increased UV protection that will prevent it from ripping, cracking, peeling, and fading. It also has durable elastic cords to hold the cover securely to the frame for a snug fit. Its pitched rood will allow water, debris, and snow to run off easily instead of accumulating on the top of the kennel.
This is a welded dog kennel that comes with an easy to follow and no tools needed instruction manual. All you need to do is unfold the basic structure of the kennel ready. Then, attach the ends of it, put on the roof, and then attach the cover. This kennel is designed for both indoor and outdoor use. It can allow your pet to lounge around under the sun or inside away from the cold.
This kennel is ideal for big dogs like German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, and Great Dane. They will have enough space to relax in this kennel, without feeling constricted. It also has a double door front gate that allows you to open the top, smaller door to play with your pet, and give foods without the worry of your pet escaping.
This is a lovely house-shaped dog kennel that is reminiscent of what you’ve probably seen in cartoons before. It is made from durable and premium quality plastic that makes it quite sturdy. This kennel will surely give your pet a nice space to relax and stay cozy. It also has an all-weather design that is perfect for rain or shine. When it comes to assembly, there’s nothing to worry about because you can set it up in just a few minutes.
This is indeed a fine-looking dog kennel. However, the only drawback of this kennel is it has no insulations. Meaning, it is possible for the plastic to crack or warp one day.
If you are looking for a kennel that will make traveling with your dog safe, simple, and comfortable, then this is an excellent choice. It is a rolling plastic kennel that is approved by the International Air Transportation Association for use on planes. This dog kennel comes with a water dish and four “live animal” stickers. Aside from that, it also has bungee holes to keep it secured during the flight.
This dog kennel also has removable wheels, making it easy to transport from your home to anywhere you want to bring it. It is available in six different sizes, from small to extra-large. In fact, it can accommodate even the largest dogs. It is made with strong plastic, metal, and interlocking slats. It is very durable, even for daily use.
This soft dog kennel is made for indoor and outdoor use. It is ideal for those who travel, go camping, or are just looking for a comfortable, and easy-to-store place where their dog can hang out at home. This dog kennel is available in two sizes, and it can accommodate dogs weighing up to 40 pounds.
This kennel features a water-resistant base and a machine-washable fabric cover. It is very easy to clean and maintain. It also has a heavy-duty steel frame construction that makes it extra durable for years. Its frame’s bars are also collapsible, making setup and as well as storage simple and easy. It also features three entrances that are covered with breathable mesh material.
If you want to give your dog a comfortable place to relax and get a little exercise, then this is the perfect dog kennel for you. It is made from waterproof oxford cloth and breathable mesh. You can use it both indoors and outdoors. It has eight foldable panels for easy set-up, breakdown, storage, and transport.
Since this kennel has mesh screens, it will be easy for you to monitor your dog’s behavior inside. It also has exterior storage compartments and an included travel tote. It will help you to transport your pet’s toys, snacks, and supplies in one lightweight and easy-to-carry package.
These are some of the best dog kennels we can recommend. We hope that the buying guide and products we shared will help you find the best dog kennel that will fit the needs of your pet.