For car enthusiasts, their house’s garage is like their second home. A lot of the time they will be perfectly happy taking their meal there too while they lovingly stare at their vehicle or tweak a few more things. For such people, it is essential that their garage be equipped with everything they need. Then of course there are the less enthusiastic people who still at least care for their car and want to fix minor problems themselves rather than via a mechanic. Whichever category you might fall in to, in this list we will cover the essential tools and items you should definitely kit out your garage with. All the items listed below will ensure you can handle at least the most basic requirements of your car and fix the most basic problems reliably and by yourself.
A Good Toolkit
Of course, if you’re going to be working on various things in your garage, you need tools. Buying cheap tools is an oft-repeated mistake, and having them fail in crucial times is frustrating beyond belief as you’re suddenly left powerless. A good toolkit or tool set comes with all the necessary tools plus some more. Also, a good kit will have durable tools that you can rely on in an emergency and will last you a long time. We took the liberty of finding some of the best toolkits out there and listing them below for your ease.
- BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Drill & Home Tool Kit 68 Piece
- DEKOPRO 168 Piece with Plastic Toolbox Storage Case
- STANLEY STMT73795 Mixed Tool Set 210-Piece
A Work Bench
Oftentimes, you will be required to work on certain items in your garage. Though it might have slipped your mind first, you would now be reminded that you have no surface to work on. A garage needs a strong workbench that can handle the stress of rough car work, while providing adequate space to work on. There are many makes of workbenches out there, and we listed some of them below for you to look at.
- Olympia Tools 84-906 Hard Wood Workbench
- WEN WB4723 48-Inch Workbench with Power Outlets and Light
- Goplus 48” Garage Workbench Multipurpose 500 Lbs Weight Capacity
When you’re working in your garage, you’re going to be working with tiny parts just as much as with big ones. Not only that, but even during the day a garage might not have enough light to see properly due to the lack of windows. A good lighting setup illuminates the whole garage from all sides and angles, ensuring a clear view of everything. Bright lights mounted to your garage’s ceiling, as well as portable lighting is a must for any serious car enthusiast. Luckily, we listed some lights that might get the job done below.
- Tanbaby Garage Lights Adjustable 6000LM 60W Tribrite Working Light
- Bbounder 4 Pack Linkable LED Utility Shop Light Black
- Hyperikon T8 4 Foot LED Tube 40 Watt Light Bulbs 5000K 24 Pack
As you continue to expand and organize your garage, you will acquire more and more tools. After some time, you won’t simply be able to pack them in your tool set’s box or leave them on the workbench, and you will need proper storage. Our advice would be to get that storage before you reach that point, and keep your garage organized from the start. There are various kinds of storage solutions for your garage, some of which are listed below in case you’re interested in buying some.
- ORASANT 10-Pack Steel Garage Storage Utility Double Hooks
- Sandusky Lee PS361856-4B Plastic Shelving Black
- Pegboard Organizer Wall Control Metal Pegboard Standard Tool Storage Kit
Automation is a wonderous luxury. Never again, will you need to work your hands to death fiddling with tiny metal screws and other nuisances. With power tools powering your garage work, you can quickly and efficiently work on a lot of things without having to bear aching hands for a week after. Though power tools can be bought separately, it is also a good idea to just buy a set from a reliable manufacturer and be done with. In case you too want to buy a set and save your hands the trouble of wringing around a wrench, here are some recommended power tool kits and other items.
- BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Drill Combo Kit 4-Tool
- PORTER-CABLE Cordless Drill Combo Kit Power Tool 4-Tool
- PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Cordless Drill Combo Kit 8-Tool
- Avid Power 20V MAX Cordless Impact Wrench
- DEWALT DCF880HM2 Impact Wrench Kit
A Torque Wrench
Well, you never know when you might need some manual labor though. If your power tools stop working or if their battery dies, at least you will have a torque wrench handy to do the job with your bare hands. Torque wrenches are another one of the most used vehicle tools, being used in garages and workshops and also being kept spare in the trunk. You never know when you might need to suddenly replace a tire, and having a good old-fashioned torque wrench right by can be a lifesaver. Some good torque wrenches are listed below.
- LEXIVON 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench
- Olsa Tools Click Torque Wrench
- ACDelco ARM601-3 3/8″ Digital Torque Wrench
A Portable Light
Even if you have set up your garage properly with bright lights, sometimes you just have to reach into the hood or under the car where the light can’t penetrate. Whenever you are faced with these scenarios, it can get quite difficult to make out what you’re looking at let alone actually work on it. In these cases, a bright portable flashlight or other type of light can be extremely useful. If you want to try one, we have listed a few below.
- LED Tactical Flashlight BINWO Super Bright High Lumen XML T6 LED Flashlights 2 Pack
- IKAAMA Super Bright LED Handheld Spotlight 10000mAh 6000 Lumens (black)
- BUYSIGHT Rechargeable spotlight 6000 lumens
If you like to work on cars here are a couple of additional essentials:
One of the most used tools for working on cars, a jack is a very necessary item in a garage. A ton of work is done on cars after having raised them off the ground, like replacing a tire or working on the brakes. A reliable jack can lift a car to a good height without struggling to keep it up. Though normally a jack works fine, one can never be too careful, so we advise you get a jack stand along with your jack as well. If you’re thinking of buying a jack, we picked out some popular options you might be interested in.
- Pro-Lift F-767 Grey Low Profile Floor Jack – 2 Ton Capacity
- Pro-LifT F-2315PE Grey Hydraulic Trolley Jack Blow Molded Case – 3000 LBS Capacity
- Blackhawk B6350 Fast Lift Service Jack – 3.5 Ton Capacity
Another very common work that is done on vehicles is filling up their tires. Tires continually lose air as they drive over long distances, and need to be pumped back up every now and then. Of course, an air compressor can also be used to clean out the nooks and crannies of your car, but its main function is still to simply reinflate your car’s tires. We listed some compressors below if you wish to choose one from them.
- EPAuto 12V DC Portable Air Compressor Pump Digital Tire Inflator
- BOSTITCH Pancake Air Compressor Oil-Free 6 Gallon 150 PSI
- BOSTITCH Air Compressor Combo Kit 3-Tool
And with all of the things listed above, your garage is ready to face any almost challenge your car can throw at it and you. The only way from here is up, as you slowly expand your tool kit and buy other helpful items and tools to truly transform your garage. But even if you stick with this current lineup, you can be sure that your garage will always provide you with peace of mind whenever you need to work in it.
Taking your car out for a long ride? Read our post on the essential things you need for a cross-country trip. Taking your car out for a shorter ride instead? To a local park perhaps? Why not look at the only things you’ll need for a memorable picnic.