Is the big day for you finally here? Are you finally independent and planning on moving out of your parents’ house and living on your own? Or maybe you have been living in a furnished apartment all this time and are now moving into a new, unfurnished one. Well, whatever the case may be, moving into a new or your first apartment can be both an exciting and daunting task. You try to prepare for yourself for all the changes and challenges that might present themselves shortly after having moved in at your new place.
So, the thought might have crossed your mind at some point. “Ok, what do I need?” If it has, this list is for you. We will attempt to cover all the basic and essential items you will need when you move into your new place. So, if you’re ready to move out, here are the only things you’ll need for a simple life in an apartment.
A Good Mattress
A very important one, a mattress is an investment you should never skimp out on. A good mattress can really change your life at home. With the right type of mattress, you can immensely improve your sleep, and give your back the care it needs. Fortunately, there is no shortage of excellent mattresses available nowadays, and if you’re looking to buy one and could use a jump start, here are some suggestions you might like.
- LINENSPA 6 Inch Innerspring Mattress – Twin
- Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress – Twin
- Zinus 8 Inch Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Twin
A Nice Table
Keeping it simple and minimalistic is cool and all, but you still need some place to put things when they’re not being used. Your morning coffee cup, your keys and wallet when you’re getting ready for work, the TV remote, a small table would be more than enough to accommodate all of this. This way you won’t need to keep making trips to your cupboards and drawers, but also won’t have to spend much. A simple table is one that you can easily integrate into the décor without having it stand out like a sore thumb. Interested in a new table for your apartment? Here are a few recommendations.
- FURINNO Simple Design End/SideTableFrench Oak Grey/Black
- Phoenix Home Coventry Round Wood Coffee Table with Glass Inlay Earthy Espresso
- Safavieh Home Collection Malone White and Chrome Coffee Table
A Comfortable Couch
Of course, a person can’t spend his whole day in bed, and what about when someone comes to visit? A plain couch should be more than enough to accommodate these scenarios. With a couch in your apartment, you have somewhere to relax that isn’t just your bed, and your guests have a place to sit. Position the couch next to the table we talked about above and you’ll have yourself a nice, simple, yet extremely useful combination. We found some good couches you might want to take a look at and listed them below.
- Ashley Furniture Signature Design – Malchin Casual Upholstered Sofa with Faux Crystal Button Tufting
- Zinus Jackie Classic Upholstered 71 Inch Sofa/Living Room Couch Grey with Hint of Green
Another quite an important one. Unlike a washing machine, a fridge is something you can’t really do without. Most food items can barely survive half a day without refrigeration before they go bad. If you don’t plan on endlessly ordering takeout or going out for dinner, you need a fridge where you can store your essential foodstuffs and use them when you need. There is a large variety of refrigerators available today, and we picked out a few you might consider getting.
- Amana AMAR27S1E 2.7 cu ft Chiller Refrigerator Stainless Steel
- SMETA Upright Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator Bottom Freezer with Automatic Ice Maker
Cutlery Or Silverware
With the aforementioned refrigerator now keeping your food preserved, you would need something to actually eat that food with. Cutlery is a basic everyday item in literally every house, and your apartment won’t be any different. A nice set will last you ages and also be easy to eat from and clean. We have listed a few cutlery options for you below.
- LIANYU 20-Piece Silverware Flatware Cutlery Set Stainless Steel Utensils Mirror Polished Dishwasher Safe
- Flatware Set 40-Piece Silverware Set LIANYU Stainless Steel Mirror Finished Dishwasher Safe
- Teivio 24 Piece Silverware Set Flatware Utensils Set Mirror Polished Dishwasher Safe
Plates And Cups
Another everyday item present in everyone’s house, you will need some plates and cups to actually hold the food in. There are tons of different kinds out there, with varying materials, sizes, shapes, designs, and more. This gives you the chance to get a set that properly matches with the rest of your house. Below are a few popular sets, though many more exist out there too.
- AmazonBasics 16-Piece Kitchen Dinnerware Set White
- Gibson 61221.16RM Elite Soho Lounge Square 16-Piece Reactive Glaze Dinnerware Set Stoneware Blue
- Elama EL-MELLOWBLUE Mellow 16-Piece Dinnerware Set in Powder Blue 16pc
Pots And Pans
Still continuing on with the food-related items, you will also need some pots and pans if you wish to cook food yourself every now and then if not most of the time. A basic set coupled with your apartment’s stove will be enough to cook a wide variety of dishes. In case you want some suggestions on the kinds of sets you should have, here are some suggested ones.
- AmazonBasics 8-Piece Non-Stick Kitchen Cookware Set Pots and Pans
- T-fal E765SH Ultimate Hard Anodized Nonstick 17 Piece Cookware Set Black
- Cuisinart MCP-12N Multiclad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set
A Vacuum Cleaner
You will also need to keep your apartment clean. A simply lifestyle just won’t do if there’s grime in the carpets and dust on the floors and shelves. Luckily, dusting is easy, and once it’s done you can vacuum all the dust. A weekly or semi-weekly vacuuming ensures your apartment doesn’t become a shared one with diseases as your roommates. Also, no one likes to live surrounded by filth. So, if you want to get a good vacuum cleaner for yourself, you might like some of these.
- Bissell Zing Canister 2156A Vacuum Green Bagless
- Bissell Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner Orange 1831
- Miele Grey Classic C1 Pure Suction Canister Vacuum Cleaner Graphite
A Trash Can
And finally, you also need somewhere you can throw your trash in. This way, you can easily dispose of all of it later. A trash can is quite a useful addition to your apartment, and saves you the trouble of having to stow away trash in different places until you feel like taking it out. Trash cans are relatively cheap and come in a multitude of different designs, some of which we have listed below in case they catch your fancy.
- Rubbermaid Commercial Products Fg295700Bla Plastic Resin Deskside Wastebasket Black
- AmazonBasics Mesh Trash Can Waste Basket
- Umbra Grand 10-Gallon Swing-Top Trash Can Black
With all those things in your possession, you are ready to live a simple, fuss-free life. This list will cover all the basic things you will need for living in an apartment by yourself without any extravagancy. Want to read more? Here is our post on the only things you need for a great first date. If that’s not what you’re looking for, how about our piece on the only things you need for a great day out on a boat.