Yield 2 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces bay scallops
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Bring broth and clam juice to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add rice and saffron to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice to pan; cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/2 cup hot broth mixture; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 18 minutes total).
3. Stir in tomatoes; cook for 1 minute. Stir in shrimp and scallops; cook for 4 minutes or until shrimp and scallops are done, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cream. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Note: The recipe says it takes about 18 minutes for the liquid to be absorbed. It may take closer to 35 minutes, so you’ll want to check it at 18 minutes and then again every 5-6 minutes afterward to ensure the liquid is absorbed. No matter, its worth the wait!
- Calories: 400 (23% from fat)
- Fat: 10.1g (sat 4.9g,mono 2.6g,poly 1.1g)
- Protein: 30.2g
- Carbohydrate: 49.1g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 520mg
- Calcium: 89mg