Many people love slices of dessert bread for mid-morning or afternoon snacks. It’s a great way to get a few extra vegetables in your day and satisfy your sweet tooth. Besides all that, this zucchini bread is really yummy!
All the oil in the traditional recipe was replaced with unsweetened apple sauce to reduce the number of fat calories. From there, the sugar was also replaced because the applesauce adds natural sweetener. What you’re left with is a delicious zucchini bread that’s not too sweet but is wonderfully moist with a good mouth-feel.
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (we used King Arthur)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Crystals (super low glycemic)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini (approximately 1 x-large)
- 1/2 cup seedless organic raisins
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Lightly spray two 8×4 loaf pans with non-stick spray and flour well.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Stir in raisins (adding them to the dry ingredients coats them with flour and helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
- In a separate large bowl, beat egg and egg whites, applesauce, vanilla, and Coconut Crystals together.
- Add the sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture and beat well.
- Sir in the zucchini until the mixture is well combined.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes (some ovens only take 40 minutes, others will take up to 60), or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 20 minutes. Remove the bread from pans and allow them to cool completely.
YIELD: 8 Slices Per Loaf (serving size is one slice)
CALORIES 169 (3% from fat) / FAT .08 g / CARBS 38 g
Find some of the products listed above here:
King Arthur flour is certified 100% organic by QAI and approved “organic” by the USDA. King Arthur has been producing the finest flours since 1790. King Arthur Flour is a 100% employee-owned company.
The Coconut Secret Coconut Crystals are soy-free, 100% organic, vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO. It is an ideal sweetener for making cookies, muffins, confections, as well as a variety of beverages.
Clabber Girl has been available in the United States, and a favorite among bakers, for over 150 years. It provides consistent results and easy to use. It is vegan and gluten-free.
Trader Joe’s pure vanilla flavor is made with glycerine, water, sugar cane, and vanilla bean extractives. It is alcohol free and pure vanilla.
Made with Thompson seedless grapes, these Sun Maid raisins are like the ones you likely enjoyed as a child. The only ingredient is California organic raisins. They are 100% fruit with no sugar added.