A little about me…in case you wanted to know

I thought I’d add a little more “about me” since that section on here is so small, and that way you can get an idea of what I’ll be writing about. I’m almost 27 years old & I’ve been married for almost 5 years (it’s coming up in April!)


Shayne is a tattoo artist & has been doing this for about 7 years now. He is amazing at what he does. He isn’t the type to just be ok with being mediocre at anything…he wants to be the best. He’s constantly drawing & painting & studying other artist’s work & trying to figure out how they are so good at what they do & how he can get to that level. He’s come a long way, and he definitely is a WAY better tattooer than guys who have been tattooing 10+ years. We’ve moved around a bit trying to find a place for Shayne to be content as a tattooer & for our family to settle. Right now we are in a really great economical town in Washington state & he is is busier now than ever, which is great for us! 

Then we have our 2 beautiful children, Ayden & Lily



Ayden is 6 1/2. He is in kindergarten (he missed the cut off date last year by 16 days!) He’s extremely smart & creative. He is an artist just like his dad and he is constantly drawing all day every day. His drawings are better than something I could do, and I’m not just saying that. He’s also really good at video games, like his Wii. I will try to help him with beating something on his game and it ends up being too hard for me. Or if I try to play Mario with him I have to ask him to help me. He’s the sweetest little boy & he’s a mommy’s boy and also his dad’s little guy at the same time. Everyone is always telling us that he looks just like Shayne…where’s my credit?! haha. He’s also the best big brother to his sister and he loves her more than anything. They really are best friends.


Lily is turning 3 next week and she’s my little princess. She is a girly girl through and through, but she can beat the crap out of her big brother at the same time! She loves anything and everything princesses…especially Disney Princesses (as seen above with her Ariel baby). She does have favorites but they change daily. Her all time favorite is definitely Ariel. She has a pair of Ariel jammies that she wears most days when we are home…she will get dressed to go shopping with me and then strip back down and put the pjs back on right when we get home!) Lily is also a little artist in training and can actually draw little pictures of people’s faces! She LOVES her mommy and will come up to me and say “I want you to come snuggle me for a while.” She’s starting to turn into Daddy’s little sweetie…she has her days where she just wants mommy, but I’m slowly losing her to Shayne and it makes me sad sometimes. 

And then there’s me
My name is Melissa & I’m 26 years old. I was born in Orange County, California and my parents moved us to a small town in North Idaho when I was 5 years old. My parents are still married after 25 years of marriage and are 2 of the greatest people I know. About 2 years ago my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 46 I believe. Turns out that it runs strong on her side of the family…her grandmother, mom, and sister all died from it. But my mom beat cancer and is still cancer free to this day! My parents have 3 children including myself. I’m the oldest and I have 2 brothers who are 25 and 17. My first brother Robert just got married last summer and I’m hoping they decide to make me an aunt someday soon and give my kids some cousins! My other brother Jamie still lives at home with my parents and is graduating high school this year…oh, and he is almost certain that he will be Valedictorian at his graduation. Then he will be leaving my parents for college in the fall. I don’t know if he’s decided where just yet, but he’ll definitely be getting a full ride scholarship pretty much anywhere he goes.

After high school I moved into an apartment with a friend in Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho and worked 2 jobs to support myself. After a few months I met Shayne through a mutual friend and decided I must have him! (My friend told me I didn’t have a chance because he had just broken up with his girlfriend a few days before and wasn’t ready for a relationship…turns out, she didn’t know what she was talking about!) I casually started hanging out at her house where they were roommates at and then one night he got my number from her and called me to hang out, and we pretty much were inseparable ever since. He moved in with me and then when my lease was up we moved about 30 minutes away to Spokane, Washington. We had Ayden on September 16, 2004 and were married on April 11, 2006. We decided not to rush into things and just get married because we were having a child together, though now I do wish we would have done things differently and been married before we had kids, but I can’t change that now.

When AydenAyden since I missed him so much while I was in school. After about 6 months or so being home with him it came time to actually find a job as a nail tech, but I had a better idea! My best friend Breann and I wanted to go back to school to study cosmetology. So in April 2006 (about 2 weeks after I got married) I went back to the same cosmetology school again, this time to do hair with my bestie. This time the course took a little over a year and together we made lots of new friends and had tons of fun. When it came graduation time in June 2007 I decided once again to take just a few months off and enjoy the summer with Ayden before I started looking for a job in the fall. Well, about 2 weeks after graduating we found out I was pregnant with Lily! So needless to say, the job hunt would be on hold indefinitely. No one would want to hire a pregnant girl, and with a second child on the way there was no way I’d be wanting to work anytime soon after she was born.

When I was 8 months pregnant we ended up moving to Seattle for a great job opportunity for Shayne. We got moved over and settled into our little duplex townhouse on Beacon Hill about 20 minutes from downtown Seattle and about 6 weeks later I went into labor and had Lily on March 1, 2008. Having a newborn and a 3 1/2 year old while living in Seattle with no friends or family was extremely hard, especially with raging postpartum hormones. Shayne was gone working 60 hours a week and I was all alone in a creepy neighborhood and was slowly going crazy. After about 7 months of that, we decided to get the heck out of Seattle and come back home. It just wasn’t good timing for us. If I hadn’t just given birth to Lily it would have been a lot different, but regardless, it wasn’t working out for our family. We left Seattle, had to stay with Shayne’s mom for a bit, and then found a house in Idaho right around the corner from my parents house. Living in Idaho again was great, but the 30 minute commute to Spokane for Shayne’s work was not so fun, especially in the winter when there was 3 feet of snow outside. When our 1 year lease was up we followed yet another good job opportunity for Shayne in the Tri-Cities in southern Washington. That is where we are currently at and it’s a great economical area because of the Hanford plant that is here. People actually have money to spend on good tattoos and Shayne is busier now than ever and is doing great as an artist here. It’s sunnier and warmer here and on the Tri-Cities website they promise “300 days of sunshine a year” here. While I’m not sure that this is the place we want to be forever, it’s the best place for us right now. Ayden is doing great in school and that gives me a good 3 1/2 hours each weekday for me to just be with Lily. I even  got my first job in 7 years here, though I only ended up working for about 3 months and had to take a medical leave which then turned in to me resigning from my position. I had a job that I really loved working as a beauty advisor for Lancome cosmetics. I absolutely loved it! Except for the fact that it was full time. If another part time position opened up I’d love to take it. After months of excruciating pain I found out that I have a huge herniated disc in my lower back that’s pressing on my sciatic nerve and is causing pain all the way down my right leg. I’ve been on pain medication since August and I finally had an epidural procedure done to try to alleviate some pain. I have a follow up on March 3rd so we will then decide if this is working or if I’ll need surgery. For now, it just sucks. You’ll probably hear a lot more about that later too.

So that brings us up to speed…my life in a (large) nutshell. I hope you read all of that!