Happy Memorial Day! We want to say a big and heartfelt “Thank you” that goes all to our citizens serving our country.
Memorial Day is generally observed as a more solemn holiday than Veterans Day. It is the day to remember and honor those who lost their lives while serving in the military. Memorial Day can be celebrated in a fun and enjoyable way while paying respects to all the men and women who sacrificed their lives for our country.
Here are some of the fantastic ideas that will guarantee and fun and memorable Memorial Day party. Just remember, don’t scrimp on the red, white, and blue!
- Host a Southern-style BBQ party – If you live in the South, it is probably given. If you don’t, make your Memorial Day BBQ party to replicate the hearty goodness of the Southern-style BBQ party and cookout. While you still can include traditional hot dogs and burgers as you like, add new offerings such as ribs, pulled pork, and brisket to your BBQ menu. And of course, don’t forget the sides — and don’t scrimp on them! Add collard greens, coleslaws, mac and cheese, potato salad, corn pudding, and rice are among the crowd-pleasers.
- Set up a craft beer tasting – If you are a craft beer enthusiast, Memorial Day makes a great excuse to organize a craft beer tasting with your friends. Showcase your own selection of summer brews, session ales, and fruit beers for your guests to sample.
- Stick to the red, white, and blue color scheme – Setting up a Memorial Day party theme is simple and easy because it does have anything to do with red, white, and blue – the colors of the American flag. To start with, proudly display the American flag at your home, if you have one. Then incorporate our red, white, and blue flag whenever possible, such as wreaths, small flags, pennants, and banners. Hang red, white, and blue streamers and lights for additional flair. And of course, no Memorial Party won’t be complete without the red, white, and blue balloons.
- Create a bar cart – A bar cart with a red-white-blue décor is a simple nod to Americana with all the delicious cocktails of your preference. It will surely draw your adult guests!
- Create a hot dog bar – A hotdog bar will definitely delight kids and adults alike. Grill some hot dogs, sausages, and hot dog buns. Then let your guests choose from a wide variety of hot dog toppings. You might want to set up an elaborate hot dog bar so that guests can have a variety of options, from the usual ketchup and mustard to non-traditional fixings, such as coleslaw and jalapeños.
- Host a pool party – If you don’t have an in-ground or aboveground pool, beg or bribe your way into using one belonging to your friend, neighbor, or family member. Or purchase a giant inflatable pool to start a DIY pool party. You might also want to consider renting a house or a private resort with a pool for a mini-staycation through websites like Airbnb.
- Set up lawn or backyard games – Games are always a good idea if you have a sprawling backyard or lawn. Croquet, cornhole, beer pong, and ring toss are good outdoor game suggestions. Better yet, incorporate a Memorial Day theme into your games. For instance, set up a red-white-blue scavenger hunt where small American flags are hidden for the guests to find within the set time limit.
- Make a donation or volunteer – Amidst all the Memorial Day festivities, let us not forget the men and women who sacrificed their lives while serving the military. Consider donating or doing volunteer work to a military-focused non-profit organization or charity in honor of the occasion. Urge your guests to do the same instead of bringing food, drinks, or gifts. There are military charities that focus on the assistance and support to families who lost a loved one from war or tragedy (such as the 9/11 attacks), while other organizations work directly with veterans and families of military personnel (active, retired, or deceased).