Getting back to normal

Day 06 → Something you hope you never have to do. This one is easy. I hope I never have to bury my children…simple as that. I hope to die before either of them does, and while I know it will be hard for them to lose me or their father, that’s how it’s supposed to be. Children should outlive their parents.

Day 07 → Someone who has made your life worth living for. This one is easy too…my husband and my children. If it weren’t for them I don’t know where I’d be, whether it was some career driven single woman or far worse (and like a lot of people I know)…a bar fly or party girl (vomit). Thank GOD for my husband and the children we have. I’m so happy with them and the life we have together.

So yesterday and today I’ve been sick, along with everyone else in our house. We all have sore throats, coughing, and drippy noses (runny/stuffy noses are my least favorite of all). I’ve also been dealing with adjusting to feeling normal without all the medication I’ve been on. I’ve been taking a cocktail of meds multiple times  a day for about 6 months, including some very strong pain medication for this back problem. Now that I’ve had the surgery I don’t have to take them anymore (thankfully!) But even though I was taking the medication for a legitimate problem my body still became somewhat addicted to the narcotics (something I knew would happen. I’ve been talking to all of my doctors about it for months). I had one last refill after surgery to help with the pain from the surgery and I was told to try to taper down from them  after the pain started to decrease. It was pretty hard, since I was still in some physical pain from the incision and everything else, so my body would trick me into thinking I was in more pain so that I would take the dose of medication. I weaned down a little and then my refill ran out and I just didn’t refill it or take any more and I was feeling pretty crappy for a couple of days. Yesterday was the worst day, but I’m feeling much better today besides this bug we all have in our house. I’ve been completely pain medication free for about 5 days now! Yay! The only thing I’m still taking is a nerve medication and I have an appointment next week to meet with my surgeon for a follow up and then we’ll get me on a schedule to taper off of them. It’ll be a long taper…about 3 weeks I think. I had to taper onto them when I started the medication, increasing my doses every week for 3 weeks.

So now the  only thing I have to do now is get my energy and strength back after sitting on my rear for the last 11 days or so recovering. My house is TRASHED. Well, trashed by my definition of it. I’ve stated before that I’m a clean freak so I think a little clutter in the living room, full hampers in a few of the bedrooms, and a sink full of dishes equals something close to a panic attack for me. I got up today and cleaned the kitchen…emptied the dishwasher, loaded it again, scrubbed every counter top, swept, emptied the garbage (which I’m technically not supposed to do because it’s still considered heavy lifting…oopsies) and now once again my kitchen is sparkling and clean like it’s supposed to be. Ahhh… However, by the time I was done, I was sweating, sniffling my brains out, and so out of breath I had to go and lay down and write this blog. I have a load of of laundry to fold now and I think that’s about all the work I can handle for today. Tomorrow I’m going to clean the bathroom (I despise dirty bathrooms and I have to pretend not to see the grime every time I go into mine now!) It hasn’t been cleaned since the day before my surgery, about 12 days ago, and I usually give it a good scrub down every 3-4 days, so to me it’s horrifying! I think that will be a task in itself for me tomorrow and I’m hoping I’m not overdoing it, but I can’t sit around and look at this mess any longer. It’s giving me anxiety…more anxiety than I already have!

I also forgot to mention that I need to feel better soon so I can get started on my vegetable garden & clean out the flower beds!