Acne scars can be tough to remove. Perhaps you tried a lot of products to bring back your face to its former glory. But are you getting fed up with all the acne treatments that don’t live to their promises? Maybe it’s time for you to try using a DIY facial mask to tackle your acne scars. Maybe the solution you are looking for is just right in your kitchen.
Lots of people are now looking for DIY or natural ingredients to avoid harmful ingredients. Natural ingredients may help but remain on the safe side by doing a patch test before applying it to your sensitive, acne-scarred areas. Also, make sure that you are using clean utensils, materials – and of course, clean hands – when making and applying DIY facial masks.
Here are some great facial mask recipes to try at home for treating acne:
Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey Facial Mask
Apple cider vinegar comes with alpha hydroxyl acids that can help remove dead skin cells and unclog skin pores. It treats acne scars by lightening blemishes, minimizing the appearance of pores, and restoring the skin’s natural pH. This solution mixes with sugar, which works as a natural exfoliant, and honey that has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cooled green tea
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Mix the green tea and vinegar in a bowl and mix it well. Then, add sugar to the mix. Finally, put honey and stir until it forms a thick paste.
- Apply on skin and massage in a circular motion for 15 minutes.
- Rinse properly using lukewarm water.
Use this face mask t once or twice a week.
Cinnamon and Honey Facial Mask
Cinnamon and honey are great acne-busting duo because both of them contain anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. It’s an excellent scar mask that is easy to make because it contains only two ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Blend these ingredients well until they are thoroughly mixed.
- Slather in the face using your fingers and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and cleanser. Apply toner after.
For best results, use this DIY mask twice a week.
Aloe Vera and Lemon Juice Facial Mask
Aloe vera is the king of natural skincare. This super helpful and useful plant has natural anti-bacterial and astringent properties that help treat scars naturally. The antioxidants found in the plant repair damaged skin, while the vitamins and zinc found in the gel helps in lightening and clearing scars. Mix it with lemon juice to strengthen the lightening effect.
- Aloe vera gel extracted from plant
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Mix aloe vera gel with fresh lemon juice.
- Apply mixture evenly on acne-scarred areas and let it sit for about 10 minutes. You might feel some tingling because of the lemon juice.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and moisturize skin after cleansing.
Do this treatment twice a week. You may want to lessen the lemon juice if you feel that the tingling is too much, then gradually add more every time you use this facial mask.
Banana and Yogurt Facial Mask
Banana and yogurt – sounds yummy to take in my mouth! But for this one, you may probably want to spare some of your breakfast staples to put on your face. Banana is full of healthy vitamins such as A, B, and E that are good for skin health. Vitamin A helps soothe rough skin and fade acne spots and blemishes. Vitamin B helps diminish roughness and dryness in the skin, while vitamin E can help with anti-aging and antioxidant properties. The potassium content of bananas can also help moisturize and hydrate the skin. Add yogurt and honey to increase soothing and moisturizing effects.
- ¼ cup yogurt and 2 tablespoons raw honey
- Blend a ripe, medium-sized banana until it forms a smooth paste.
- Blend in the yogurt and honey. Mix thoroughly.
- Apply it on the face using a makeup brush.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water and follow up with a moisturizer.
Repeat application for two to three times a week.
Almond Milk and Egg White Facial Mask
Egg whites contain astringent properties that help in controlling oil, while their healing properties help reduce scars. Meanwhile, almond milk offers nourishment to the skin by gently moisturizing it.
- 2 teaspoons 100% natural almond milk
- Egg whites from one egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl to form a paste.
- Apply gently all over the face, avoiding the eye area.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse off with water.
Apply this egg mask for acne scars twice a week.
Orange Peel Facial Mask
Orange peels have lightening properties that help reduce pigmentation caused by scarring. It can also help control sebum secretion, boost collagen production, and help repair damaged skin. The retinol content of orange peel also helps renew skin cells and act as a natural exfoliant that consequently treats acne scars.
- 1 tablespoon dried orange peel powder
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Mix the ingredients to form a thick paste.
- Apply the mask on the face and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
Use this DIY mask twice a week for best results.
Oatmeal Facial Mask
Oatmeal is a healthy breakfast and also a great skincare ingredient. It comes with moisturizing, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. It can also soothe dry, itchy, and irritated skin.
- Boil some oats with water.
- Let the oatmeal cool off.
- Apply the cooked-off oatmeal to your face.
- Leave in on your skin for 25-30 minutes.
- Rinse off with water and cleanse your face.
- Moisturize and continue with your skincare routine.
Use this facial mask for at least twice a week.
Avocado and Lemon Facial Mask
Avocado is a superfood that stimulates collagen production, which helps aid cell regeneration. This fruit is rich in omega fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants that are all great for the skin. It’s incredibly nourishing for the skin and offers moisturizing and anti-inflammatory benefits. The lemon juice can help lighten hyperpigmentation, while the honey helps promote healing from trauma.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- Mash the ripe avocado until creamy smooth.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey and lemon. Mix all ingredients thoroughly before applying to the face.
- Apply it to the face and leave it on the skin for about 15 minutes.
- Gently rinse away and continue with the rest of your skincare routine.
This can be used all over the face to brighten skin and as a spot treatment for targeted areas. If you have sensitive skin, lessen the lemon or skip it altogether.