Every day, we encounter plastic in some form or another. We see it at least a hundred times a day if you’ll just observe. It’s in our appliances, our clothes, our furniture, our gadgets, our hygiene products, and even food. After learning the harmful effects of plastic on the environment, there has been a massive worldwide campaign to reduce the usage of plastic, and that includes sandwich bags.
Think about how many sandwich bags you may have used in your life since your mom packed your lunch and snacks ever since preschool. It must have been a lot, doesn’t it? It’s better to look for alternatives to plastic sandwich bags. And another way to decrease your plastic usage is by using high-quality beeswax cling wrap.
Why the Need for Alternatives?
Most plastic sandwich bags like zip seal and Ziploc bags are made of low-density polyethylene (LDPE). While this material can be recycled, you can’t reuse them for months or years. Most of these plastics get thrown into the landfill.
Plastic has been a big part of our daily lives that it can be challenging to think of trying to remove them entirely from our lives. However, here are some of the compelling reasons to look for alternatives:
- Chemicals on plastics have been linked to infertility and obesity. It also contains endocrine disruptors that cause hormone problems.
- These LDPE bags take a thousand years to degrade fully, and many of these plastics find their way into the ocean and the environment, harming thousands of species of wildlife in land and ocean every year.
- Plastic in chemicals affects many animal species, especially in the oceans. The damage may be irreversible, and it’s still increasing. Imagine this: plastic chemicals have been found under 20 feet of ice in the Antarctic Ocean, where no human lives. It means that trash has traveled far from us and has wandered in the oceans.
Alternatives to Plastic Sandwich Bags
For the sake of the planet and the health of your family, consider finding alternatives to plastic bags for the home. Here are some of your options:
Reusable sandwich bags – These snack bags are like pouches made of cotton and polyester, and are BPA-free. Reusable snack bags are lightweight, easy to fold, and machine-washable.
- Nordic By Nature 4 Pack Reusable Sandwich Bags
- Insu-bags Chevron Reusable Insulated Sandwich Bags
- ChicoBag Snack Time rePETe (Recycled PET) Snack and Sandwich Reusable Baggies
- Bumkins Snack Bags
Zippered lunch bags – There are zippered bags that are reusable and eco-friendly. These are food-safe with no BPA, lead, and other toxic chemicals.
- Lunchskins Reusable Zippered Sandwich Bag
- Nordic By Nature Reusable Sandwich Bag Snack Bags – Value Pack of 5 Dual Layer Lunch Baggies
- Planet Wise Reusable Clear Sandwich Bag
- Itzy Ritzy Reusable Snack Bag
Food wraps – These things are made from recycled PE plastic that opens out flat. It can also be made of waterproof and washable material and will not stick or stain. Use it to wrap sandwiches, bagels, apple slices, or whatever you want to take along.
- U Konserve UK098 Food Kozy
- ChicoBag Snack Time rePETe (Recycled PET) Baggies Snack and Sandwich Reusable Bags
Stainless steel lunch box – If you need something sturdier to prevent your sandwich from getting flat inside your bag, use stainless steel lunch boxes instead of the usual plastic lunch boxes. These containers are very versatile, easy to use, durable, reusable, and very trendy. Since it’s made of steel, it’s safe to put hot food inside. These containers come with a lock, but since some are purely made of metal with no silicone gaskets, don’t expect it to be leak-proof. To be safe, don’t put some soup in here. However, some come with silicone seal to make it leak-proof.
- GRUB2GO Stainless Steel 3-Layer Bento Lunch Box
- Cal Tiffin Stainless Steel SQUARE Bento Box food container
- Monka Bento Lunch Box Food Container Storage Set
- Arderlive Insulated Bento Box With Portable Utensils
- Green Pinecone Leakproof Stainless Steel Lunchbox Set
Reusable silicone bags – These bags are made of food-grade silicone with no BPA, BPF, BPS, phthalates, PVC, or any other unsafe material. These bags are leak-proof and more durable than the ordinary plastic sandwich bag. You may also pack your other snacks in here – not just your sandwiches.
- MOICO Reusable Silicone Storage Bags
- JONYJ Reusable Gallon Storage Bags 5-Pack
- YYE Reusable Silicone Food Storage Bag
Silicone food bag – This one differs from the reusable silicone bags because it has a definite shape perfect for storing sandwiches. This reusable bag is safe to use for microwave, freezer, and dishwasher and has the ability to steam vegetable and fish right in it. It comes with a pinch-lock seal to keep food fresh.
Beeswax wraps – These wraps are great to use as a reusable option for all-natural ingredients. It can be morphed to fit any size or container. You can also use it to replace saran wrap in the kitchen.