Rope lights may be what you need to add some extra flair to your home décor! These versatile lights can be used in various ways, from creating an inviting atmosphere to highlight your favorite features. So, whether you are looking for a new way to light up your living room or add personality to your bedroom, read on for inspiration!
What are Rope Lights?
They are flexible, tubular plastic cables illuminated by miniature light bulbs. They can be bent into shapes, and the bulbs can be cut to fit nearly any length. They are available in various colors. They are usually placed in a clear plastic casing, which protects them from the elements and makes them safe to use indoors and outdoors.
Fundamentals of Rope Lights
Before we dive into our five creative ways to use them, let’s go over some basic Do’s and Don’ts.
- Make sure the power source of the rope light is rated for indoor or outdoor use (depending on where it will be installed).
- Be mindful of the wattage of the rope light. Too much wattage could cause a fire hazard.
- Secure the lights to the wall or ceiling if necessary (especially when using outdoors).
- Check the lights before each use to make sure they are in good working order.
- Don’t leave them on for extended periods, as this can cause them to overheat and possibly cause a fire.
- Don’t expose the lights to moisture if they are not rated for outdoor use, as this could ruin them.
- Don’t try to bend them too much, as this could break the light bulbs inside.
- Don’t forget to always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when installing and using them.
- Do not exceed the maximum run length, which is usually 200 feet.
- Do not use more than one power source for each set of lights.
- Do not exceed the wattage rating of the rope light.
5 Creative Ways to Use Them
Now that you know the basics, let’s look at five creative ways to use them in your home:
1. Outdoor Accent Lighting
Just remember to use outdoor-rated lights! They can be used to accent the exterior of your home. String them along the edges of your porch, around trees and shrubs, or even along walkways and steps for a unique outdoor lighting solution.
2. Create a Cozy Atmosphere
They can be used to create an inviting atmosphere in any room. Hang them from the ceiling, drape them across furniture or along the walls for an ambient glow. They are perfect for adding that extra light to dark corners and creating a cozy atmosphere in your home.
3. Brighten Up Bathrooms
They are a great way to make small bathrooms feel more significant. Just make sure you use them sparingly in wet areas. Place them along the bottom of cabinets, around mirrors, or even inside shower enclosures for a brightening effect.
4. Highlight Your Artwork
They can be used to highlight your favorite artwork and photographs. Simply hang your pieces above the lights for a dramatic effect. Highlighting artwork with rope lights is an especially great idea for darker rooms, as it will draw the eye and bring some life to the space.
5. Decorate Your Parties
They can be used to decorate for any occasion. Wrap them around tabletops, use them to create shapes, or even hang them from the ceiling for an extra pop of color and light. They are perfect for adding some extra pizzazz to your next gathering.
If you need more confidence to create your rope light designs, plenty of online tutorials are available to help you out. You can also ask professionals such as Blingle! They can help you create the perfect design to fit your home décor and lifestyle.
With endless design possibilities and the ability to be used indoors and outdoors, they can quickly become a favorite in any space. Using rope lights are a great way to add some personality to your home. So, if you want to make the most of your home décor without spending too much money, give it a try!